Geosynthetic clay liner: Bentofix®
Bentofix® geosynthetic clay liners (GCLs)
Bentofix®, also known as geosynthetic clay barriers (GBR-C) are needle-punched, reinforced composites that combine two durable geotextile outer layers and a uniform core of high-swelling powder sodium bentonite clay. This forms a uniform, multi-directional, shear-resistant hydraulic barrier with self-sealing and re-healing characteristics.
Typical solutions with Bentofix®
- Landfill caps, closures and base seal
- Environmental protection under roads, railways, airports
- Dams and dykes
- Water containment and pond applications
- Structural waterproofing
- Secondary containment
- Mining applications
- Versatile sealing applications possible
- Immediate sealing and long-term performance with high swellable sodium bentonite powder
- Outperforms compacted clay liners
- Robust geotextiles encapsulate and contain the bentonite
- Uniform needle-punching provides multi-directional shear strength
- Thermal Lock process increases internal shear strength and interface friction angles
- Self-sealing length overlaps; with BFG types all overlaps self-seal
- Quick, easy and cost effective to install
Selected advantages of Bentofix®
Bentofix® advantage 1
Bentofix® thermal lock replaces other GCLs as well as other soil barriers on steep side slopes and assures low permeability without sacrificing slope stability. Explanation: Bentofix® is uniformly needle-punched with over 2 million fibres/m². This results in a uniform, directionally-independent shear stress transfer. Thermal Lock additionally improves the pull-out resistance and the interface friction.
Bentofix® advantage 2
Bentofix® acts immediately as a sealing element. The explanation: high-swelling bentonite powder, uniformly distributed bentonite powder, large bentonite swelling surface and smaller air voids to close.
Bentofix® advantage 3
Bentofix® utilises the advantages of three high-performance components in one geocomposite:
- The nonwoven protects against installation stress and increases the interface friction performance.
- The bentonite powder acts as an immediate barrier.
- The slit-film woven gives the product the dimension stability and makes the product stable for installation handling.
The result of this trio, combined with the needle-punching and Thermal Lock: A durable, low-permeable sealing system.